[ale] Resolving

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Mon Sep 10 12:44:36 EDT 2001

Hi Jason,

   Is it not resolving localhost at all? (do you wait for DNS to time
out? That could take up to 8 min)
   I would check /etc/nsswitch.conf, and ensure that "files" is listed
before  anything else on the "hosts:" line.  That way the resolver will
hit /etc/hosts first, then DNS/NIS/whatever.
   Another option is to rename /etc/resolv.conf until your cable modem
get going again.  That will disable lookups to DNS.

   As for "how" the resolver works, check out the "gethostbyname" man
page.  localhost will resolve just like anything else.  A note though,
last I checked, nslookup doesn't use "gethostbyname", but has it's a
different (built-in) algorithm.

   Double check yourself on one thing: it would be very odd to not be
able to ping a local interface.

Lost in Taipei,
   Keith