[ale] Resolving

Jason Lynn jason_lynn_ at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:33:58 EDT 2001

This is most likely a stupid question, but...
Since my cable modem has been down, I have been unable to resolve
"localhost" and even the IP address on my internal NIC.  This may have been
caused because I've been "tweaking" a few things.  :)  My question is, if
I'm not running named, how does my computer resolve "localhost" and even my
local IP address?  Would it normally go to the (now unreachable) DNS servers
to resolve "localhost"?  How about my internal IP... the DNS server knows
nothing about my internal addresses, so how are they resolved?  And why
aren't they being resolved now (ie pinging 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.1
isn't working, though pinging 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.2 IS working)?
Like I said... stupid question... but I'd appreciate any insight.  Thanks.