[ale] Ideas for backup internet connection?

Tom Younker twins at atlnet.com
Sat Sep 8 14:43:05 EDT 2001

Byron:
I'd try Hawk Communications at  www.aaahawk.com/
,  which I saw advertised in Computer User Magazine.  The have
$7.77 per month nationwide connections, and a new program for the Atlanta
area of supposedly better grade connections for $8.88 or $9.99 per month
depending on how far ahead you pay.
I built a Debian box for a computer newbie,  dialed up Hawk using
my Earthlink account, opened account for her online, then dialed up using
her new account.  Would have taken a short time except their site
neglected to mention appending "aaahawk.com" to the user name when logging
in.
Tom
Byron A Jeff wrote:
AT&T broadband seems to have rolling episodes
where the entire Atlanta
area is unavailable. While there is supposedly a dialup backup, it's
very
time limited.
So I'd like to get a backup dialup with more potential hours. While
I was down
yesterday, I decided to follow up with a AT&T long distance offer
that
gave WorldNet service for $7. After signing up and trying to get an
instant
account, I ran across a page describing setting up WorldNet with Linux
(I was using my sister's dialup temporarily). Come to find out that
while
normal WorldNet service is straight PPP/CHAP and works just fine, that
their limited service has ad banners and only runs with their special
dialer under Windows! As you can well imangined, I was bummed out.
immediately called and cancelled, and called BellSouth for good measure
and locked my long distance so that AT&T wouldn't try to slam me.
Does anyone know of a Linux compatible dialup for about $7 a month.
Time
limited isn't a problem. Say 150 hours a month would be fine.
It needs to have a national set of POPs so that I can dial it locally
if I
need to travel.
Ideas? Thanks...
BAJ