[ale] Raid 5 on a Redhat 7.1 box - production worthy?

Gary MacKay Gary at EdisonInfo.com
Fri Sep 7 11:31:46 EDT 2001

I'm setting up a new RedHat 7.1 box (HP e800) for a client to be used as
a Sybase database server. My thought was to put a 9gig as the OS
partition and three 18gig drives in Raid 5. I've used Raid 5 on Novell
Netware and NT and in both cases, the controller card takes care of it
and the OS just sees it as a single drive. Is that the case with linux
also? Are there any downsides to using this config for a sql server?

HP e800
dual 866mhz
1gig ram

- Gary