[ale] ATI Radeon VE and X 4.0.3

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Sep 7 08:19:56 EDT 2001

Keith Hopkins wrote:

> Hi Geoffrey,
>
>    Two suggestions:  Move to X 4.1.x, and check out the mailing lists
> for the Gatos project at linuxvideo.org.

Playing email catch up here.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Once I
upgraded to 4.1.0, I was able to build a useable config file.  A little
tweeking and I'm cooking again, along with the ability to run my games
again.  Thanks.

>    Also, as far as I know, 4.x does a lot of dynamic configuration as it
> starts up, so you usually don't see a lot of the stuff that was in
> XF86Config for X 3.x.x.
>    Of course, there are exceptions, for instance, my laptop with X.4.1.0
> and a ATI Mobility chip couldn't decide on the right freq, so I had to
> put a modeline in the config.  But, my ATI desktop systems work without
> modifications.

All I had to do was add a default bpp and I'm good.  Thanks again.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"I don't want a Microsoft Passport, and Microsoft can't have my wallet."