[ale] Network Buffer Underflow :)

tewkewl at mindspring.com tewkewl at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 4 18:41:41 EDT 2001

That should not have anythign to do with anything....

You're saying straight from the server it works fine? (through a crossover cable?)  But when you hook a hub up, it doesn't?

The only problems you might have is if the hub is at 10mb and you have alot of clients on the hub trying to listen/view multimedia.

if it is a 100mb hub, then make sure your nics are set to 100half. (as alot of cheapo hubs do not support autonegotiation)  And if you have a cheapo hub mixed with a cheapo nic, you might not even autonegotitate at all.

After you have set both the server and client to 100half, try to do some ftp xfers to and from the server to test throughput.

-Patrick

leonard <triton at madchat.org> wrote:

Watching movies on my client from the server, the HUB doesn't do
it's job smoothly (like it does on Windows, blaspheme! ;)

The HUB transfers data irregularly resulting in 2 seconds break
evry 3 seconds in the movie (just at the time when it starts to
read again). Is there a buffer size somewhere to smooth this ?

Looking on google/linux, I found many "buffer... overflows"
but no informations on an network buffer size for `internal'
transfers. (my HUB suXX, but was 20$ new...)

Thanks for any hints !

--

Alt: leonard at madloutre.org /\ GnuPG clef 1024D/9A3D4CA1