[ale] Hardware for a Samba file (and application?) server

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Tue Oct 30 11:19:46 EST 2001

I personally am jealous of the hardware budget you people obviously
have.  Here in small company land, we build our Samba and other servers out
of PII 233s with 20 IDE drivers and $19.95 10/100 ethernet cards.  I still
have production servers running on P166's....

Send donations.......

At 10:52 AM 10/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > 4x 36G drives in RAID 5 (Parity), gives you 64G, a hot spare, speed
> > someplace the average speed of the RAID 0/1 setup
>
>This sounds like what I want.  I'll just have to set up a data partition
>small enough to fit on one DDS4 tape and use the rest for other stuff --
>otherwise these guys will definitely fill the disk with PowerPoint
>files. :)
>
> >    Reiserfs on top of LVM. (It's a godsend)  Easy to expand LVols &
> file systems.  Yeah!
>
>Ooo, more HOWTOs to read.  Thanks!
>
> >    DDS is good, that tapes are dirt cheap (compared to DLT).  The
> drives do suffer (and your backups will suffer) if you don't keep the
> heads clean.
>
>We clean our drives regularly.  We're a safety girl, so to speak.
>
> > Um, the Tyan Tiger is a good board, but you can't run two 1.4GHz
> > Palominos on it.  The Palominos is a Uniprocessor chip.  You need an
> > Athlon MP.  Those run at 1G, 1.2 (old die set) and 1.5, 1.6 & 1.8G
>
>I misspoke.  I meant the Athlon MP 1800+ or 1600+.
>
>Ben
>

>---
>This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net
http://www.intelis-inc.com
http://www.intelis-inc.net