[ale] Programming Question - Where to Start

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Oct 24 10:00:49 EDT 2001

I am ready to admit that I need to acquire some basic programming skills,
and believe that Perl is probably the best place to start.

I have done some very basic high-level 'programming', in the form of PAL
(Paradox App Lang) scripting a long time ago, and more recently some
Filemake Pro scripting, but in no way consider myself to be a programmer.  I
have peeked at some Perl scripts, and am mystified by what I see.

So, my question is, where shouod I start?  Is there a good book for absolute
beginners, that won't assume that I know a bunch of stuff that I don't?
Should I take a class?  Both?  I was planning on finding a good book for
beginners, worky my way through that, then once I know enough to be
dangerous, see if I can find a class.

Charles Marcus