[ale] SuSE 7.1/ATI Radeon pain in the ASCII

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Sun Oct 21 17:42:16 EDT 2001

Steven A. DuChene wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 06:33:44PM +0900, Keith Hopkins wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>   I found a solution to a problem that I've heard no one ask about, yet. :-)
>>
>>   Installing (or attempting) to install SuSE 7.1 (maybe 7.2 also) and calling
>>   up the YAST1 installer at the boot prompt causes the system to completely
>>   hose shortly after the kernel bootup loads (that's right, I don't even have
>>   the OS loaded on!)
>>
>>   The culprit is SuSE's use of the fbdev display in combination with a ATI Radeon
>>   64M DDR (bulk or retain, I tried both).  This was in both a Gigabyte GA-7DXR
>>   and a Asus A7V motherboard.
>>
>>   The solution I found is to use boot prompt "vga=normal" as in "boot:yast1 vga=normal".
>>   And magically, everything was right once again in the world.
>>
>>Lost in Tokyo,
>>   Keith
>>

> Keith:
> Are the motherboards mentioned above have Athlon chips? I have found quite a bit of
> info regarding bad interactions between certain Athlon motherboards and Radeon graphics
> cards. I experienced systems lockups first hand on a friends system repeatably with
> such a combination when trying to bring up the Xserver.
>
> Are you actually in Tokyo or is that just an expression in your sig?

Hi Steve,

   Yes, both systems are Athlon systems.

   I'm still having one problem with them (on the GA-7DXR), and that is time-outs and hangs on the built in Promise RAID controller when I have the Radeon in the system.  I starting to thing about going with a (gasp) non-ATI video card, but I'm not really sure what is a good choice.

   Ohayougozaimasu.  I'm actually in Tokyo.  I've been here for almost a year now.

Lost in Tokyo (really!)
   Keith