[ale] OT: multiplexing irq 3

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sun Oct 21 16:52:32 EDT 2001

Hi,

For some reason, on one of my boxes, my two serial ports are both
vying for irq 3.  The bios only lets you select manual/pci-auto
for assigning irqs.  When you select manual, you may assign an
irq as either PNP or Legacy ISA.  Those are the only two choices.
This is an old Award bios on a Tyan MB, circa 1996.

I'm trying to figure out why the box wants to multiplex irq 3.
And I don't know bioses well enough to know what other feature
would have turned this "feature" on.

Can anyone lend me a clue so I can have my serial ports back?

TIA.  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net