[ale] SuSE 7.1/ATI Radeon pain in the ASCII

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 21 12:31:28 EDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 06:33:44PM +0900, Keith Hopkins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I found a solution to a problem that I've heard no one ask about, yet. :-)
>
>    Installing (or attempting) to install SuSE 7.1 (maybe 7.2 also) and calling
>    up the YAST1 installer at the boot prompt causes the system to completely
>    hose shortly after the kernel bootup loads (that's right, I don't even have
>    the OS loaded on!)
>
>    The culprit is SuSE's use of the fbdev display in combination with a ATI Radeon
>    64M DDR (bulk or retain, I tried both).  This was in both a Gigabyte GA-7DXR
>    and a Asus A7V motherboard.
>
>    The solution I found is to use boot prompt "vga=normal" as in "boot:yast1 vga=normal".
>    And magically, everything was right once again in the world.
>
> Lost in Tokyo,
>    Keith

Keith:
Are the motherboards mentioned above have Athlon chips? I have found quite a bit of
info regarding bad interactions between certain Athlon motherboards and Radeon graphics
cards. I experienced systems lockups first hand on a friends system repeatably with
such a combination when trying to bring up the Xserver.

Are you actually in Tokyo or is that just an expression in your sig?
Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com

        http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene/