[ale] OT: New Video, no video

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 19 15:39:37 EDT 2001

On Fri, 2001-10-19 at 15:31, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Just got a new box for my desk.  Dell PowerEdge 1300/450, dual proc.
> Been building it out Debian Sid using the built in video card until the
> new card ordered showed up.  Got the card Xtasy 5332 GForce2, 32meg from
> VisionTek.  Plug it in the PCI slot and reboot.  No beeps, no signal to
> video, nothing.  TAke the card out, works like it just did.  Took  the
> card out, put in an old 2meg PCI S3 card, comes up fine.  Upgraded
> the FlashBIOS, no change.
>
> I'm on hold with VisionTek now (have been for 45 mins+).
>
> Any thoughts?

A couple of thoughts. First of all, this is a PCI slot card. your BIOS
might have a setting on which type of video to boot from first. You need
to change it to say PCI before AGP or just PCI. Also, most motherboards
that have onboard video either have to have the onboard video disabled
by a jumper on the motherboard or by a very smart bios that can detect
multiple video being used and disable the internal one for you. Since
Windows started supporting multiple cards, the smart bios that auto
detcts for you hasn't been too popular. Make sure that you have manually
disabled the onboard video.

hope this helps.