[ale] Setting up linux PPP Server

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Oct 18 16:38:45 EDT 2001

I have read the PPP-Howto and it seems to only talk from a client
perspective.

I want to setup my server to accept calls from PPP and shell clients.

I am running mgetty on the serial port attached to the 33.6 modem.

A typical ppp user is setup as follows:

/etc/passwd
pppuser:x:100:100:PPP User:/tmp:/usr/bin/ppp.sh

/usr/bin/ppp.sh:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/pppd crtscts netmask 255.255.255.255  192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2

To make this work I must setuid /usr/sbin/pppd and I also have to add
"noauth" to /etc/ppp/options.
Wne pppuser dials in, they get the mgetty login prompt.  They enter their
username and password then PPPD
is fired up.  What happens if a user dials in using PAP or CHAP.  Do I
totally havwe to remove mgetty from the setup and do something totally
different?

Thanks,
Chris Fowler