[ale] /etc conclusion

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 12:47:31 EDT 2001

After trying for at least an hour to recover the system, I decided it was
hopeless and that it could use a rebuild because of all the stuff I have
installed from third party sources it needed to be cleaned up anyway. So, I
backed up everything I could, made a list of other stuff so I could get new
copies, and then reinstalled. Mandrake's installer is pretty but it doesn't
work right. It seemed buggy and it didn't configure X or sound properly so I
had to do that manually. But I think I've got most of it back up now and I've
been able to talk myself into switching some of the stuff I had done as root
to a normal user like I should have done before but I was to lazy to copy
configuration and stuff over. So, it is probably overall a good  thing even
though it sucked. I've definitely learned some good stuff from the tips I've
been given though.

Thanks so much!
Michael