[ale] Imp - HTML

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Mon Oct 8 16:29:31 EDT 2001

Apparently the only limitation is in displaying uuencoded files - it
supposedly displays standard HTML mail fine...see below for some recent
posts on this issue on the mail list:

***** First quote *****

> I am useing Squirrelmail 1.0.6 all seems to be working OK except when I
> view any Email sent by Outlook Express ( with default HTML body), the body
> just shows as an attachment with HTML code inside ? I have searched the
> and only found reference to the problem in ver 0.5 & those settings are
all
> set correctly in 1.0.6. When I view the header info it displays...

> It would seem that Squirrel cannot pickup the HTML format in the Email
> body.
>
> If anyone could help me with this problem it would be very very
> appreciated.

I don't even remember if 1.0.6 has a "show HTML" option.  If it does, it
should
show you the attachment by default.

Probably best to upgrade to 1.2.0rc2, it definitely has this option and
works.

Also, don't be too hasty to view HTML.  There are several nasty things that
clever person could do to your system with HTML email displayed by SM.  An
upcoming release will address this.  For now, the best policy is get
1.2.0rc2,
and DON'T choose "show HTML".

BTW, HTML messages are normally attachments (unless the sending mail agent
is
stupid, often the case with spam).  Outlook/Outlook Express are kind enough
put the HTML version of outgoing messages in an attachment.  So what you are
seeing is normal.

***** First quote *****

***** Second quote *****

> Hello, all.  Using SquirrelMail 1.2 (on a RH 7.1 box), attachments
> refuse to detach correctly.  For example, the below is the beginning
> and end of a Word file, detached and opened with a text editor:
>
> begin 600 Service for Zoe.doc
> MT,\1X*&Q&N$`````````````````````/@`#`/[_"0`&```````````````!

That file is not an attachment.  It is a UUEncoded file.  There are no MIME
headers for it and the file is enclosed in the body of the mail message.

> Looks pretty much like a Mime-encoded attachment that isn't being
> decoded. If I'm correct, some attachments detach fine, but others...
> well, you get this garbage.  Other e-mail packages (eg. Netscape, via
> IMAP) detach the attachment just fine, so I'm pretty sure it's a SM
> issue.

Netscape, Outlook, and other mail programs can process the mail message
better than SquirrelMail can (at the moment), so it is a SquirrelMail
issue, but it is also an issue with any mail reader that doesn't support
UUEncoded files.

It is possible that maybe a plugin could be written for it.  In fact, I'm
going to add a hook soon so that a plugin can tie into the message properly
in order to alter it and do whatever before viewing.  That way it will be a
standard hook in 1.2.  It would take a while to write a good UUDecoding
plugin (might as well support XXE also), but at least it will be possible.

So, there is nothing you can do within SquirrelMail to decode the file yet,
but a plugin could be written to do the extra processing needed.

***** Second quote *****