[ale] Calling shell scripts from shell scripts

Geoffrey esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Oct 4 20:41:17 EDT 2001

Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> Hi all,
>         This might seem to be a trivial question, but how do I call a bash shell
> script from another bash script and let the calling script close?  Currently
> when I call one script from another the first one stays in memory even though
> it should have completed.  I've tried starting the second script in the
> background using the '&' trick, but that didn't work...  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks guys...

foo contains:

date
exec ./bar
who

bar contains:
date

Execute foo, you will get the output of the date command in foo.
'exec bar' replaces the existing foo process with the bar shell.
you will then see the output of the date command from bar.

You will never see the who command in foo.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

"I don't want a Microsoft Passport, and Microsoft can't have my wallet."

---
This message as been sent through the ALE general discussion list.