[ale] Many domains, one Cyrus

djinn djinn at djinnspace.com
Thu Oct 4 11:08:08 EDT 2001

Dave Brooks wrote:

> This isn't necessarily an issue with cyrus, it's an issue with your MTA.  If
> you're using sendmail or postfix, they dont support virtual domains or
> virtual users.  Qmail does.  You can configure qmail to realize that
> chris at client1.com and chris at client2.com are two different mailboxes and
> should be treated as such.

Perhaps the problem lies in my understanding of the process...??
I'm using Exim and it's perfectly happy delivering to whoever at
whatever domain, because it doesn't do any sort of local delivery...it
just hands off the mail to cyrus.  (I love Exim.  I would vote for
Philip Hazel any day.)

My problem comes when the end user, chris at client1.com, wants to log in
and check his mail using Outlook or Netscape or Pine or whatever...my
understanding of the process is that he connects directly to the IMAP
server which must authenticate him as his real username.

The web mail client I've got handles this situation fine, I wrote an
alias  lookup that lets chris log in as chris at client1.com, the web mail
solution looks up this name (his alias) and logs him in as his real
username.  There is no facility to do that (that I know of) with a
request from a stand alone mail client.

If I am befuddled, please someone set me right!!  The worst part of
learning this stuff is when I've gotten a wrong picture of something and
am approaching it bass-ackwards.  :)

Thanks
jenn