[ale] Need some sort of firewall

Greg runman at telocity.com
Wed Oct 3 18:05:00 EDT 2001

Yeah, Smoothwall.  It though is a firewall and nothing but... an appliance
in fact.  The reason is due to the insecurity of having other crap on a
firewall... that is not a firewall, it is 1) a server or 2) a server
masquerading as a firewall.  All security books will back this up.

Smoothwall runs on 486's or any other ancient pc's.  Microseconds on Roswell
Rd (I-285, go North about a half mile or so ..on the right)has stripped down
486's for $10.. add some RAM (4 x $2 = $8) a HD (any size.. 1 GB are only
$10-$15 and are kinda overkill) and 2 nics ($5 / ea) and you are in business
for about what, $38 ?.  Other than that, if you HAVE to run something on
your firewall, then you might want to look at OpenBSD.  It installs nothing
as a default and has been security audited.  Yes, it isn't Linux per se, but
it all depends on how far you are willing to go for a level of security.
Being paranoid and hating to spend hours recovering from evil I have gone
along the Smoothwall path.

Also supports ssh and https for remote operations.

www.smoothwall.org

Good Luck
Greg Canter