[ale] Mylex Raid controller

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Wed Oct 3 15:32:29 EDT 2001

I've gotten another hand-me-down...a Netserver
5/133 LS. Quite fast, despite the 133Mhz.
It has a Mylex DAC960 controller in it and two 4Gb
drives. These are visible and useable in Win2k, but Linux just doesn't seem to
want to see the drives. It sees the Mylex controller, from 'cat
/proc/pci':
  Bus  1, device  15, function
0:    RAID storage controller: Mylex DAC960 P Series (rev
0).      Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.  Master
Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=4.
I/O at 0xf480 [0xf481].
However, I can't seem to find where or how to see
the disks. During POST, the Mylex appears to combine them into one logical
drive.
I ended up having to connect a spare ide drive (no
mounting slot, so it's just hanging) to boot up and get linux installed so
I could try find the drives, but still no luck. Anyone ever put linux on one of
these? I've checked every site I could find for Mylex DAC960....really put
Google through the ringer. I've checked the HP site. I'm running SuSe 7.0. I
even installed RedHat 7.1 (and I really don't like Redhat) to see if it could
find it, but no joy there, either.

It may just have something to do with Raid, which
I've never worked with on linux before, but I'll be damned if I can find out
what to do with it. I don't want to just go back to Windows just so I can use
the thing.

Matt