[ale] OMG politics goes digital?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Fri Nov 30 16:35:44 EST 2001

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Boy, that's an interesting thought.  The downside is that many people
> are just plain fools - but you know, maybe if we lived in a society
> where there was a chance that we might be chosen for a stint in public
> service, then perhaps people might feel like they NEED to be able to
> read and write well, engage in critical thought, show up places on time,
> know the difference between a cubic foot and a furlong, etc.  I'd rather
> live in THAT kind of society.

If we kept things simple...

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union,
establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common
defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty
to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution
for the United States of America.

...like they were meant to be, one wouldn't need to be a genius to
represent the people.

We are a nation of laws. Bloated, complicated, and in some cases silly
laws that mean absolutely nothing to the average American. Take a look at
your Government. What do you see? Mainly a bunch of lawyers making laws so
complicated that it takes a lawyer to understand them. Making laws so
complicated that courts now interpret and give opinions rather than read
and make decisions. It's self preservation in action folks. A nation of
laws IS a nation of lawyers.

No offense to any lawyers who might be on the list...but that's the way I
see it, and you'll be hard pressed to come up with any evidence to the
contrary.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security