[ale] Virus alert, possibly from me...

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Thu Nov 29 23:52:39 EST 2001

Hi folks,
I hate having to send this out, but it's possible I might have passed along
a virus.....

I received an email today at 6:35 PM EST with a single
attachment IMAGE.DOC.pif.   Since I knew the sender, and the subject
was actually something discussed recently (Re: Re: Re: [HP3000-L] OT:What's a
slide rule...), I stupidly opened the attachment. Of course, nothing visible was
there. However, about 2 minutes later I received "Mail Delivery Failed" for an
email my computer was trying to send. I immediately recognized it as a virus and
disconnected the phone line. I found 4 brand new files in my \winnt\system32
folder - KERNEL32.exe, kdll.dll, protocol.dll, and cp_25389.nls. I found the
KERNEL.EXE running in Task Manager, killed the process, and was able to delete
all 4 files. After rebooting, I checked the CERT site and found that this is the
"W32/BadTrans worm" and applied the patch for it.

If you've received anything form me today, please don't open any
attachments. I'm clean now, but I do know that I was infected earlier this
evening.

<A
href="http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2001-14.html">http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2001-14.html

matt shade<A