[ale] network interfaces

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 19:06:23 EST 2001

I'm looking for some info on how (and where) the
kernel recognizes valid network interfaces.  In
otherwords, if  I get the serial port settings for a
modem set correctly, what [needs to|does] take place
afterwards for the kernel to recognize it as a valid
interface and allow it to be brought up with ifconfig.
 Likewise with NICs.

Thanks,
John