[ale] Video Cards

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Sun Nov 25 15:37:54 EST 2001

Jim Philips wrote:

>For that resolution, I don't think you can expect much of a card with 4
>megs video RAM. You either need to drop your resolution or get a better
>card.

Uh, 10-4, there, Jim - that's why I was asking! ;-)

I'm using a nice Samsung 17" monitor and I plan to use it at no less
than 1024x768.

My big concern here is finding something that's not so bleeding-edge
that versions of XFree86 that are coming with current distros can't just
automatically deal with it.

One thing that happened was that when I did the RH 7.2 install is that
it wouldn't go higher than 800x600 at first - the screen just blinked
and went back to character mode - but after I let it install at 800x600
and I re-ran Xconfigurator, it had no problem going to 16bpp and
1024x768.  It's just real slow.

When I open Konqueror and click the down arrow on the right end of the
URL field, the history list pulls down very s l o w l y - it takes about
5 seconds.  Weird.

- Jeff