[ale] CD not seen for RH6.2 install on IBM 365XD laptop

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Fri Nov 16 14:38:51 EST 2001

Hello - thanks for the reply.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 hirsch at zapmedia.com wrote:

> John Mills writes:
>  > I put a new HD into the laptop (no OS; unknown partitioning), booted from
>  > the RH6.2 boot floppy, and starte the installation. I got as far as trying
>  > to tell the installer where to find the installation and I haven't been
>  > able to have the CD recognized.

> I think the choice would be "cdrom" or "atapi cdrom".  I've never
> heard of a CD that looks like a hard drive.  Was there a choice like
> either of these?

I didn't see that on the list (and I think I would have recognized it),
but I'll certainly look again. Likewise I'm going to check whether DOS
'fdisk' will find something to chew on at "c:".

If that fails, I'll reinstall the original MSWin drive and see what is
found.

Does anyone know if the 2.5" laptop HDDs use a functionally
interchangeable connection to the generic 3.5" hard drives? That would let
me plug the new drive into my PC and check it out.

--
Regards -
 John Mills