[ale] CD not seen for RH6.2 install on IBM 365XD laptop

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Fri Nov 16 07:46:34 EST 2001

I put a new HD into the laptop (no OS; unknown partitioning), booted from
the RH6.2 boot floppy, and starte the installation. I got as far as trying
to tell the installer where to find the installation and I haven't been
able to have the CD recognized.

The notes I've found say (1) you must start from a boot diskette, as I
did, and (2) the CD looks like a 'generic' IDE drive. I expect the
selection for that is 'local hard drive', but then the CD isn't found.
Actually, no hard drives are found at all; the error message is something
like: "You don't seem to have any hard drives installed."

I suppose this could result from my having caused a problem with the CD or
HD in my upgrade, or because BIOS requires some recognizable content on
the HD in order to properly identify the configuration.

Has anyone met this? Any suggestions?

--
TIA -
 John Mills