[ale] Trying to use minicom and get a console connection

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Tue Nov 13 12:55:59 EST 2001

I get no response at all from minicom.  I'm on Red Hat 7.1.

I'm pretty ignorant regarding serial lines and even modems on linux.  I
have a cable modem at home, not dial-up.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Gene

PS:  setserial and lsmod output below.

# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sr_mod                 15264   0  (autoclean)
maestro3               25328   1  (autoclean)
ac97_codec              8800   0  (autoclean) [maestro3]
soundcore               4464   2  (autoclean) [maestro3]
appletalk              19664   0  (autoclean)
ipx                    15520   0  (autoclean)
cisco_ipsec           280352   0  (unused)
autofs                 11264   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ds                      7280   2
yenta_socket           11440   2
pcmcia_core            43072   0  [ds yenta_socket]
8139too                16480   1  (autoclean)
ipchains               38976   0  (unused)
ide-scsi                8352   0
scsi_mod               95104   2  [sr_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 26848   0
cdrom                  27232   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
usb-uhci               20720   0  (unused)
usbcore                49664   1  [usb-uhci]