[ale] Trying to use minicom and get a console connection

Gene Matthews gene at mmc-inc.com
Tue Nov 13 12:01:36 EST 2001

Any minicom experts around?  I'm trying to use my linux (RH7.1) laptop
and minicom to connect to a remote terminal server's console port.

I can do this successfuly on Windows using HyperTerminal, but I don't
have it working on Linux yet.

I have

A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyS0  (I've tried ttyS1 also)
B - Lockfile Location     : /var/lock
C -   Callin Program      :
D -  Callout Program      :
E -    Bps/Par/Bits       : 9600 8N1
F - Hardware Flow Control : No
G - Software Flow Control : No

for the serial port setup.

This matches what I was using for HyperTerminal (COM1, 9600 8N1 w/ no
flow control) and I'm using the exact same cable.

The cable is a cat 5 (plugs into the console port of the term server)
and a RJ45 to 9pin converter on the other side for the pc serial port.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks,

Gene