[ale] SSh/telnet to the host from shell

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Thu Nov 8 21:37:54 EST 2001

> How to open the connection to the Unix box from shell script ( ksh ) using
> either ssh or telnet if I have IP, login name and password.

> Note:
> I don't have a root access and setting the trusted host relations is not
> an option for me.

An excellent solution is to use SSH with public key validation instead of
password validation.  The client side (the side that initiates the
connection) creates a SSH public and private key pair and sends the public
key to the server.  When the client then attempts a connection, the server
will first try to validate with the public key.  If it matches it does not
prompt for the normal login password.

This assumes that you did not put a password (called a passphrase) on the
key.

I (and many others) use this technique to grant some remote access to systems,
typically for running scripts.  I use this so that various systems can use my
system that has a tape drive or the one with one of the printers, etc.

> Thank You
>  Andy

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com                           [Please use for email to me]
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My 5* book:"Real World Linux Security"]
http://www.cavu.com/sunset.html        [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"