[ale] SuSE 7.3 and ATI AIW TV out

Keith Hopkins hne at inetnow.net
Wed Nov 7 06:21:50 EST 2001

vinson wrote:

> I am currently installing SuSE 7.3 on a box in my home (Pent. 750,
> 256MB) which has an ATI All in Wonder video card with a TV out.  i want
> to run this tv out to a television for my monitor, but i can figure out
> how to get X configured on it.  Has anyone had any luck with ATI AIW
> cards and X?

Hi Jason,

   Yes, TV out can be made to work.  I have a Rage128Pro AIW, and used it for TV-out for a little while, until I was able to get a monitor.  It was ok for watching DVDs on, but for general computer use, yuck.
   You have two basic choices for TV-out.  The frame buffer device driver (kernel driver + X-Server), or the ati.2 X-server from the livid project.  ati.2 will give you other stuff, like video capture too.
   Also, make sure you have X4.1.0 installed.
   Check out the livid-ati mailing lists Archives on linuxvideo.org.  This same question gets asked about every two weeks, and the answer it over and over again.
   You may also want to dig into the GATOS project.

Lost In Tokyo,
   Keith