[ale] Samba Problem

Dennis Herrick herrickd at huntingdon.edu
Fri Nov 2 11:00:14 EST 2001

I've had a postscript printer on my linux box for more than a year, printing
on it from my Win98 machine  worked with no problems. When I set this up I
was brand new to Linux, but eventually got it working fine.

I recently installed Internet Explorer 6 on the Win machine, all this smooth
functioning ceased (although this might have been a coincidence and some
other problem happened??). Now it stopped working and from the Win machine
it's asking me for a password for IPC$ -- I have no idea what it wants.

I had been running Mandrake 7.2, but recently installed 8.1.

I thought I'd start over from the Win machine installing a printer, and
browsing the network does find the linux machine, but won't allow access
without a password for IPC$

Since it's been so long from when I did this a year or more ago, I'm not
sure what to do now. . . .