[ale] cdr problems

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 1 10:35:37 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 22:15, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I turn more CDs into coasters by using cdrecord than I do by using Adaptec
> in Windows.  I starting to believe it is a xcombination of my 3 year old
> HP7200i and ide-scsi.

the main problem I have had burning CDs under linux has been making sure
that I have enough bandwidth on the hard drives that host the .iso
images so that the CD burner can burn at the top speed its rated for.

For example, I'm only getting 8MB/sec on the hard drives that are in my
primary linux desktop machine right now and that is pretty durned low if
you want to use a 16X cdrom with only a 1MB buffer in the unit. Xcdorast
will let you use a software buffer to help get around that but that is
only in the most recent versions.

Another thing to look for is to make sure that you are using media rated
for the burn speed that you have selected. The CD FAQ gives lots of info
on how much of that info is bogus and what isn't but if you try burning
at 8X or 16X on 4X rated media, you'll make coasters almost every time.

hope this helps,