[ale] ethernet switch doesn't work

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon May 28 22:50:38 EDT 2001

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Are you saying that everything worked with the two different hubs, but
> not when this new switch is put in place of one of them?

Yes.  I first replaced an existing hub that has 3 computers, 2 100baseT
and 1 10baseT.  It did not work.  I then replaced a different hub that
has just two machines, both 100baseT, still did not work.  The proper
leds light, but I get the no route message when attempting to ping or
telnet to another machine through the switch.

> Are you
> (mis)using an uplink port, or is a port that you're using accidentally
> switched to being an uplink port?

Port 1 can be used as either, there's a switch to set the port use.  I
even attempted not using that port, assuming that maybe the switch was
defective.

> Tried power-cycling both the new switch and the remaining connected hub
> while they are wired up in the desired fashion?

I tried power-cycling the switch, not the remaining hub.  In each case I
attempted to access a machine from another machine on the switch in
which the connectivity would be through the switch.  I don't think the
other hub would come into play.

> FWIW, I've been using a D-Link DSS-5+ 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch II
> with joy over most of the last year.  Boy have I ever been glad I popped
> for a 10/100 switch instead of a hub.

That was my expectation, but I may have been bitten by the 'you get what
you pay for' bug.  I cheap sohoware 10/100 autosensing switch.  No
useful info on their web site either.  Sorry support there.  There's an
800 # I'm going to call in the morning to see what assistance I might
get.  Right now, I'm planning to return it for my $$ unless I get
resolution via the phone, or someone has any ideas as to what is wrong.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein