[ale] Sony Laptops & Linux

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at innoverse.com
Tue May 22 23:36:50 EDT 2001

	Its way past time to replace my 1997 era P100 laptop and get something I can
develop with. Now that the nice 15" TFT screens are available I can justify
getting one that I know I'll use as much more than a backup box for the
occasional travel or client visit.. However, I wanted to know just how much
of this laptop can I use under Linux. Specifically, can I get the full
resolution/colour depth out of the FX190 model (1400x1050 - wow!)? Are there
drivers for the built-in network card? How about the sound system? Now I'll
push it: Is the modem something other than a WinModem and are there any
drivers at all for the Firewire connection? It would be really cool to be
able to connect to my Sony Digital CamCorder under Linux instead of having to
boot into WinME.

	I'd appreciate any experiences related here or pointers where I might find
more detailed information about using these wonderful machines under Linux.

	thanx & later,

		Ben Scherrey