[ale] ATT Broadband and DHCP Help Requested

Jeff Dilcher dilcher at hiddenworld.net
Sat May 19 12:43:21 EDT 2001

Hello,

(Apologies if this went out a couple of days ago-
I have been having a bit of difficulty joining the
group.  I hope this hasn't been discussed recently...)

I am an ATT cable subscriber in Dekalb county.
Formerly Mediaone.

I am trying to configure my Redhat 7.0 box
to run a script (which will update Zoneedit.com,
update my firewall script, etc.) when my machine
obtains a new ip lease.

How would I ensure that a script is kicked off
when I get a new IP address?

Also, I am setting up some firewall rules, and
trying to be conservative.  However, I don't want
to block my dhcp client from talking to the dhcp server
altogether.  Can anyone tell me what ports need
to be open for ATT to communicate via dhcp and
give my machine it's new IP?  Any caveats I should
be aware of, in regards to DHCP, when configuring
the firewall?

Thanks!!
Jeff