[ale] OT: networking for the not-so-bright

djinn at djinnspace.com djinn at djinnspace.com
Thu May 17 09:25:35 EDT 2001

Greetings Alers!

Sorry if this is a duplicate...I tried sending it earlier and it never
seemed to reach the list.

I'm faced with a decision on something I know nothing about, and was
hoping the network-knowlegable among you could help me out...
We have a handful of web servers that require more than the 1.5mbps
bandwidth they've got now, but not by much.  I've looked into burstable
bandwidth with some large companies, and 0-3mbps is running about
$2500/mo right now.  I could also buy a second T-1 from my current
provider and
save several hundred $$ a month.

My dillemma...will the second T-1 allow me to expand my network as much
as (albeit not as easily as) the 0-3 pipe from the large provider?
Is there a way to do load balancing between multiple T-1s flowing into
the same switch?  I'm pretty new to this stuff so any pointers in the
right direction would be much appreciated.

TIA

jenn