[ale] GCC help

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. glasher at nycap.rr.com
Wed May 16 16:25:06 EDT 2001

I am working on an application for transmitting/receiving digital data via
a soundcard.  It is related to amateur radio, although I will be doing the
initial implementation on MURS (don't have my HAM licence just yet,
probably will in 2-3 weeks).  I have chosen to use the PSK31 varicode
encoding system (as opposed to ASCII) due to its excellent sync-recovery
properties.

I am having compiling problems that I don't understand.  The code itself
can be seen at http://www.critternet.mine.nu/help/varicode.c and when I
try to compile it, I get this:

>varicode.c:41: parameter `instring' has just a forward declaration
>varicode.c:42: parameter `inchar' has just a forward declaration
>varicode.c:64: parameter `instring' has just a forward declaration

What does this mean?  Can I have a working definition of 'forward
declaration' please?  From that, I might have a clue about what is wrong
here.

>varicode.c: In function `VaricodeEncodeString':
>varicode.c:77: warning: passing arg 1 of `VaricodeEncodeChar' makes
>pointer from integer without a cast
>varicode.c:77: warning: passing arg 2 of `VaricodeEncodeChar' makes
>integer from pointer without a cast

I disagree.  The function it is talking about is declared as:

>void VaricodeEncodeChar(char inchar; char outstring[]);

...and the call to the function is:

>    VaricodeEncodeChar(instring[i], interimstring);

....the variables are declared as:

>char instring[];
>char interimstring[14];

...instring is declared in the function header.  In the calling function,
main(), it is declared as:

>char instring[82];

Lastly, at the end of the process, we get another one of these stupid
things:

>varicode.c: At top level:
>varicode.c:87: parameter `inchar' has just a forward declaration

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  It's been a while since I have
done any projects in C, so please forgive me if this is a blonde
moment....

glasher at nycap.rr.com
After 163 days, Verizon still couln't deliver Telocity DSL.