[ale] star office vs. open office

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Thu May 10 22:24:54 EDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001 14:16:28 GMT Rod Young <development at combiz.net>
writes:
> I work at a non-profit and want to move them away from mickey
> soft office and Corel.
> I was looking at star office. But have now been made aware of
> open office project.
> What are the pros and cons of each?
> I don't want to get on something that is still developmental.

StarOffice as it is currently known discontinues with 5.2 I believe it
is. Sun released the source code and created the OpenOffice community.
Pros of StarOffice is that it has been out a little while and should be
stable. Pros of OpenOffice is that it is open source, more updated,
optimized, etc. I'm not sure of all of the changes with OpenOffice, but
it seems to be slimlined a bit by separating the applications and
removing the desktop and start button. I currently run StarOffice 5.2
here for day to day stuff and have found a few annoyances in it, but can
deal with it overall. I have tried 2 different builds of OpenOffice and
can see progress, but I still do not recommend it personally. It seems to
run a little faster, but the overall look and feel is the same. Rumor has
it that they should release OpenOffice 6.0 soon which should be stable.
But, as of now, OpenOffice is developmental, but migration to OpenOffice
from StarOffice should be minimal when it is released.

Michael Golden