[ale] samba 2.2 and win9x clients - SOLVED

Gary MacKay Gary at EdisonInfo.com
Sat May 5 19:12:29 EDT 2001

Well, I really hate replying to my own messages, but I wanted to let
everyone know I resolved the issue. Took lots of digging, but I found a
samba newsgroup that had the answer. The PAM support is broken in the
new samba 2.2 version. You have to change (Redhat anyway) the
/etc/pam.d/samba file.

Change any "account" lines to
account	sufficient	pam_permit.so

- Gary