[ale] OT:rumors of Chinese attacks

Chris Ness cness at gloster.vivid.net
Sat May 5 07:35:22 EDT 2001

On May  4, 2001 02:44 pm, I. Herman wrote:
> There is an alleged "Cyber War" that is supposed to occur between the US
> and China.  I don't know the legitimacy of it, but I DID see it on CNN.  As
> for it being a hoax...i dunno.

Running the IPs  through Visual Route and/or Neotrace of sites that attempt
connection to my computer and are rejected , for the last several weeks I am
seeing almost all of them end up in China. I don't figure that society is one
that allows great freedom for hackers to do what they please. So I am
inclined to think it is not a coincidence. About every two hours last night
(5/4/01) I show a REJECT from 61.41.254.25 on his port 3903 trying my :80 .So
my gut instinct is that he is trolling for webservers and the loop takes him
about two hours. He is offline at this point and the last forwarder is APNIC2
(Asia Pacific Network information Center.) Most of them come through APNIC.

As an aside, in trying to do a trace on one of those as an example for you, I
got something I had never seen before - a circular reference. Globix.net had
two servers that each thought the other was the best route to another site.
And they kept going until the time-to-live died. Kind of spectacular.
--
Chris Ness
mailto:cness at gloster.vivid.net   	      All jobs are equally easy to