[ale] Why

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu May 3 15:45:50 EDT 2001

That's
a real good question.  I just recently tried to set up an X-less
disk-limited machine for bind/dhcpd under RH6.2 and it was pulling the same kind
of stunts.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Out of
curiosity, I renamed a directory that held a lot of X stuff (somewhere under
/usr, I think) to see if it affected anything and yes, things broke, so I
renamed it back.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
really wish distros were more straightforward w.r.t. setup options than just
giving you "server," "workstation," and "custom."  Distros are
complex enough that if you select "custom," you don't get a good feel
for even what the provided starting point gets you (at least I don't, but I
don't think I'm unusually clueless).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
-
Jeff
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chris Fowler
  [mailto:ChrisF at computone.com]Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 3:43
  PMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: [ale]
  Why
  Why when I load RH 7.1 and say no X widows, does netscape get
  loaded. Why when I say no X windows, Does it try to
  configure my video card for X?