[ale] SSH problem...

Marc Vogt mtv at theor.chemistry.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 31 15:59:11 EST 2001

> I've got a user that cannot use ssh to reach my Debian system.  This is
> what shows up in the log files.
>
>  sshd[26761]: Did not receive ident string from <client ip address>
>
> I can access the system fine, but he's using a newer version of OpenSSH
> that the server is running.  Any ideas on how to solve this?  Thanks.
> --
> David Corbin
> dcorbin at imperitek.com

I just seemingly randomly started getting the same error one day.
It made no sense why it started and I never figured out why, but
I did manage to find a way to fix it in my case.
In my ipchains rules I opened up ports 1010-1025 or somewhere around there.
Exact port numbers should be in my previous posts if we have an archive.
These ports need to be opened on the client, not the server.  I only
opened them to the server of interest.
I'm not sure why they need to be opened.  It worked fine before when they
were closed.  If you are not running some sort of firewall then obviously
this is not the solution to your problem.

Hope this helps

Marc