replacing NFS [Was Re: [ale] Cracked many Linux systems]

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Mar 28 13:57:00 EST 2001

>>>>> "michael" == michael d ivey <ivey at gweezlebur.com> writes:

[...]

    michael> Is anyone aware of a way to have a semi-transparent
    michael> filesystem over SSH?  ie: machineA can ssh to machineB
    michael> via RSA key authentication.  I want to have a filesystem
    michael> on machineA that is actually going through the ssh
    michael> connection to a directory on machineB, without weaking
    michael> machineB's security.

        If you're an emacs user, you can use the tramp package.  It'll
let you transparently access remote files over ssh or scp.  Granted
that's not the same as NFS, but . . . .  And then there's always rsync
for keeping things updated, or cvs for maintaining a central copy.
You might even could whip something up fairly quickly using scp/ssh
and the PerlFS module that lets you write linux filesystems in
perl. :)

        On a somewhat related note, has anyone looked into CODA (an
AFS-like distributed filesystem from the good folks at CMU) as far as
security and crossing open networks?  I'd played with it a little bit
a while back and it was pretty neat, but I never got around to getting
things completely setup to use it rather than NFS.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=