[ale] ipchains

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 11:42:07 EST 2001

Martin Nichols wrote:

> Good Morning,
> I have constructed a simple ipchains firewall on my home RH 6.2 box. By
> default ihave input=DENY as a policy, however this policy will not allow
> return packets back to my system. Does anyone know the proper syntax for such
> a rule? My external interface is ppp0.

Here's a very loose rule; it accepts any incoming packet
that is properly addressed:

ipchains -A input -i ppp0 -d <ppp0 IP address> -j ACCEPT

You may also want this to deny connection attempts from outside:

ipchains -I input -i ppp0 -p tcp -y -j DENY

HTH,

-- Joe

> Thank You,
> Marty

-- Joe Knapka
"It was just a maddened crocodile hidden in a flower bed. It could
 have happened to anyone." -- Pratchett
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *