[ale] Stupid Linux Tricks...

Hunter Eidson hunter at gpc.peachnet.edu
Wed Mar 21 17:53:04 EST 2001

We've got an EMC Symmetrix 3430 here at work, connected via fiber to a
couple of HP-UX boxes.  Our EMC also has several unused SCSI ports, and I
thought I'd play with those and a couple of Linux boxes.  The Linux box I'm
using for a test bed, is an Intel P3 with an Adaptec 2944UW SCSI card.  I've
got the card configured so that it sees all 9 drives during the boot scan (3
disks, and 6 gatekeepers), but RedHat Wolverine, RedHat 7.0, and SuSE 7.0
all hang during the install.

If I do the install with the Symm's controller turned off, I can install w/o
problems.  Then, when I start the RedHat 7.0 system after turning the Symm
back on, it hangs during the SCSI driver init.

Getting EMC to give meaningful tech support is surprisingly difficult,
considering how much yearly maintenance is...

Anyone had any luck trying to do something similar?  Any help is
appreciated!

	--Hunter