[ale] Dumb shell scripting question

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:22:48 EST 2001

> Hi there,
>
> 	I have stuff like this before but I am having a problem with this
> peice of code.
>
> echo -n "Are the drive ready to be formated and mounted? [y/n] "
> read confirm
> if [ $confirm=n ]

Your problem is right here. Spaces are significant in the shell. When using
test each word must be separated by space. Try this instead:

if [ "$confirm" = n ]

Use the double quotes just in case the user decides to enter nothing, so
that the script will generate an empty, yet valid, word if nothing is
entered at the propmt.

BAJ