[ale] pppd won't start up

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Mon Mar 19 17:45:31 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Sage wrote:
> Heyla,
>
> Well, my modem works just dandy, dials out, connects, then pppd craps the bed. Error messages go as follows;
>
> pppd 2.4.0 started by indira, uid 501
> Terminating on signal 15
> Connect script failed
> Exit
>
> Now, we had to muck around an IRQ3 conflict, disable IRQ3 in the BIOS, as the kernel would assign the same IRQ 3 again to ttyS1. I also had to change /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS1 in the modem configuration files. Would this have anything to do with the connect script failing? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I'm using Mandrake 7.2.

Aggravating, isn't it?  Mandrake installs so smoothly, it's a shame it's so
hard to get kppp working.

Here are a few things to try:
Open and xterm, type su, enter your root pw, and run ktail, to monitor
 /var/log/messages. kppp will send some (possibly helpful) messages there,
so keep this window open while you experiment with some settings.

Check to see that you have the correct baud rate set. If mine is set too high,
I will get as far as CONNECT... but the login script will never run.

Check to see that you have chosen Default Gateway and that Assign
Default Gateway to this Route is checked. Things hang if set otherwise.

Watch the Log window to make sure that the correct modem initialization
strings are being sent.

There are probably at least a hundred other things that could go wrong,
but /var/log/messages should give some hint what that may be.

Regards,
Irv