[ale] Can't Telnet Into Debian 2.2

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Sun Mar 18 09:53:43 EST 2001

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> > You have, of course, checked the debian system log files, right?  My
> > guess is you'll find that tcpd is dropping you.  This happens for oen of
> > two reasons (in my experience): /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny are
> > not set to allow your host access, or more commonly, when the Debian
> > system does a reverse DNS lookup on the incoming address, it fails
> > outright or fails to match the forward looking DNS. i.e., if you're IP
> > address is w.x.y.z, not only does "nslookup w.x.y.z have to yield
> > "foo.bar.com", but "nslookup foo.bar.com" has to yield "w.x.y.z".
>
> Well, I might have a little trouble with that, since 1) I don't appear
> to have nslookup and 2) I have no internal DNS present - in fact, I'm
> setting this machine up to BE the DNS!  It has a host table, just like
> the Mandrake machine that can be telnetted to without problem.

Well, this can be corrected by adding the telnet client machine to
/etc/hosts on the server, assuming you have name resolution set up
correctly to use /etc/hosts (which is the default).

> I've
> been having a problem in that if I need, for instance, nslookup, I have
> no idea what to "apt-get install" to get it (thankfully emacs did not
> present this problem).

try "apt-get install dnsutils".  In the more general case, it can be a
bit difficult.   I think there are some tools out there that can solve
this problem, but I've never really dealt with them.

> If I understand you, then, telnetting to the Debian box just isn't going
> to work until I get it running as a DNS.  Why is it that Mandrake deals
> while Debian does not?

Debian is more secure.  You also have the option of taking tcpd out of
the inetd entry...

> - Jeff

David Corbin
dcorbin at imperitek.com