[ale] modem set-up

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sat Mar 10 07:24:20 EST 2001

Sage wrote:

> (1) Before installing the modem, login to your machine
> and look at /proc/interrupts, and pick an unused interrupt that your
> modem can be configured to.
>
> I looked there and it says nothing about IRQ 3 at all, goes from one ,two, skips three, goes to four, skips five, etc., but the BIOS is complaining about an IRQ 3 conflict. If the modem is not in use, will this show up on the interrupts table, or not, do you know?

Shot in the dark here, but I've noticed that my serial ports don't
'populate' /proc/interrupts unless they're being used.  For example,
I've got a Palm cradle on one port on this box.  If I attempt to sync,
an entry shows up in there for irq 4/serial.  Prior to the sync attempt
there is no entry.  The same happens for my external modem.

Could it be that the modem is attempting to take 3 and something else is
too?  Like, another serial port.  3 and 4 are normally taken by serial
ports.  I would try and disable both serial ports in the bios and then
see if the modem is accessible.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein