[ale] modem set-up

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 18:08:26 EST 2001

Sage wrote:

> (1) Before installing the modem, login to your machine
> and look at /proc/interrupts, and pick an unused interrupt that your
> modem can be configured to.
>
> I looked there and it says nothing about IRQ 3 at all, goes from one ,two, skips three, goes to four, skips five, etc., but the BIOS is complaining about an IRQ 3 conflict. If the modem is not in use, will this show up on the interrupts table, or not, do you know?

Hmmm. My advice about /proc/interrupts seems to be ++ungood.
Apparently /proc/interrupts doesn't actually show you all
the interrupts that are in use.

The on-board serial ports almost certainly are using IRQ
3 and IRQ 4, so you need a different one. 9 might work; so
might 11 or 12.

>  If there isn't one you'll have to
> disable one of your onboard serial ports in the BIOS, which
> is quite easy to do, but don't worry about it yet. Configure
> the modem to be non-PnP and to use the interrupt you picked.
>
> (2) Hopefully your modem will let you configure it to any COMn
> port, 1 thru 4. (If not we're back to fiddling with the BIOS.)
> Set the modem to be COM3 (ttyS2).
>
> (3) Shut everything down, install the modem in the machine,
> reboot.
>
> (4) Login as root and run
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq <IRQ chosen in step 1>
>
> When I did setserial on tty01 (which is set for IRQ 3), I got back parameters for my modem. This is driving me crazy. How can the system recognize a modem on ttyS01, IRQ 3, yet the BIOS is telling me I have a conflict with that IRQ, and as a result, keeps saying that the modem is busy? Ack.
>
> If I go into the BIOS, and disable IRQ3, do you think it may resolve this freaking problem?

You would need to disable COM2. I don't think you should actually
have to do that, however, once you get the modem configured
properly.

Please post the output of "dmesg" *without* the modem installed.

> -Indira   P.S. No, I haven't tried your solution as of yet. I have to go to class til 7:30. I'll be back to try it then.

-- Joe Knapka