[ale] Telocity help?

Jason MisterRain at intemperance.net
Fri Mar 9 12:41:22 EST 2001

Hi all -- I hope someone can help me out with a problem.

I'm running a redhat 6.2 machine at home on a new Telocity DSL connection.
When I hook up my Windows 98 PC, it connects fine with DHCP.  Here's what
Linux does:

I tried setting up eth0 with DHCP, as recommended -- it just fails, and
I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this. When I set up eth0
statically using the netmask 255.0.0.0, I can connect fine but can't see
remote hosts with 64.*.*.* IP addresses.  Telocity's documentation and
tech support says I need to use the netmask 255.255.255.252.  When I
change the netmask to this, I can't connect at all.

So what I need is either: a) figure out how to get DHCP to work properly,
or b) figure out what settings I need to change to get connected
statically with the right netmask.  Telocity's tech support has left me
hanging, and clearly I'm not a network expert.  If anyone can help me out
with a solution to either I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Jason